The German Research Foundation supports researchers in all stages of their research career. On the one hand, this is accomplished by means of funding for individuals and, on the other hand, there is room for further academic qualification in DFG-funded research projects and groups.
The web pages pertaining to the various phases of research careers provide you with an overview of funding opportunities and further information:
- Interner LinkDuring Studies
- Interner LinkDuring Doctorates
- Interner LinkFollowing Completion of Doctorates
Furthermore, the DFG awards prizes to researchers at different stages of their research careers:
In order to create the best possible framework conditions for researchers in early career phases, the DFG adopted the “Principles of Effective Career Support in Academia” in March 2021.
Online Talk: DFG Funding Opportunities for Postdocs
Germany’s largest independent research funding organisation offers funding opportunities for all career stages between doctorate and professorship. Join our online talk and get to know the DFG and its funding portfolio for postdocs in Germany. We will give you a quick overview about the Walter Benjamin, the Emmy Noether and the Heisenberg Programme, as well as the Individual Research Grant with a temporary position for principal investigators. We will also provide advice on how to prepare your proposal and what happens once you submit it to the DFG.
When: November 9th, 2-3.30 pm (CET)
Where: Webex Events. Registration is now open at
After registering, you will not receive a confirmation e-mail. You can access the event via the link above without any password. Please note that the number of registrations is limited to max. 1,000.
There will be a German presentation on October 26th, 2pm (Interner LinkFurther Information).
The following website provides guidance to first-time applicants:
Various publications address matters and activities of the DFG concerning the funding of early career researchers:
- Interner LinkDFG Magazine > Career Paths (in German only)
- Interner LinkReport "GAIN21 - Networking, dialogue and an open-minded attitude"
- Interner LinkPress Release, 26 March 2021
- Interner LinkInformation for Researchers, 26 March 2021
- Interner LinkAnnual Report ‒ Activities and Results - Programmes and Projects
- Interner LinkStudy "Doctoral programme lengths and doctoral degrees in DFG-funded consortia"
- Interner LinkStudy "Research Funding and Career Paths" (2017)
Please send general enquiries pertaining to the scientific early career grant programmes of the DFG or the possibilities for offering information events and material to the following e-mail address: