The German Research Foundation supports researchers in all stages of their research career. We offer funding for individuals, and there is room for further academic qualification in DFG-funded research projects and groups.
The DFG supports different phases of your research career:
Student assistants can participate in a Research Training Group, a Collaborative Research Centre or in a DFG-funded research project. Interner Linkmore
The DFG funds doctoral researchers in Research Training Groups and research projects by means of doctoral posts or fellowships. Interner Linkmore
Following Completion of Doctorates
Funding opportunities for all phases after Doctorates: for new post-doctoral researchers, established postdocs and researchers eligible to be appointed as professors. Interner Linkmore
The DFG awards prizes to researchers at different stages of their research careers:
To create the best possible conditions for researchers in early career phases, the DFG adopted the "Principles of Effective Career Support in Academia" in March 2021.
Are you planning to prepare your first DFG proposal and need some guidance and useful advice?
Various of our publications address matters and activities of the DFG concerning the funding of early career researchers:
- Interner LinkDFG Magazine > Career Paths (in German only)
- Interner LinkReport "GAIN21 - Networking, dialogue and an open-minded attitude"
- Interner LinkPress Release, 26 March 2021
- Interner LinkInformation for Researchers, 26 March 2021
- Interner LinkAnnual Report ‒ Activities and Results - Programmes and Projects
- Interner LinkStudy "Doctoral programme lengths and doctoral degrees in DFG-funded consortia"
- Interner LinkStudy "Research Funding and Career Paths" (2017)
Please send general enquiries about funding options for early career researchers and about information events and material to this e-mail address: