Information for Researchers No. 67 | 14 August 2023
Argentinean-German Collaboration in Research
Fourth joint call for German-Argentinean research projects in specific research areas
The Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, German Research Foundation) and the National Council for Scientific and Technological Research (CONICET) are pleased to announce the fourth call for proposals to fund joint German-Argentinean research projects in the following areas:
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Molecular and Clinical Infectiology and Immunology
- Social Sciences and Humanities
The proposals for German-Argentinean research projects have to be submitted to the DFG according to the following rules:
- Researchers may apply for a funding period of up to three years.
- Researchers in Germany must submit their proposals under the DFG’s Research Grants Programme in compliance with the guidelines outlined in DFG form 50.01 (see link below). This includes the eligibility criteria for applicants to be funded by the DFG.
- Proposals have to be written in English and must be submitted to both organisations in parallel in accordance with the proposal preparation instructions of each side.
- The scientific content of the proposals submitted to the DFG and CONICET should be identical.
- The joint proposal should contain an abstract, the scientific description, the goals and tasks as well as the justification of the requested cost items according to DFG form 54.01 (see link below).
- Researchers in Argentina and Germany must submit their proposals to CONICET and the DFG, respectively, by 1 December 2023.
- In addition to the guidelines of the DFG, the following considerations have to be taken into account:
- The scientific level of the projects should be high in international comparison.
- Although the scientific quality of the proposals is the decisive criterion, joint projects must also demonstrate a clear added value to the applicants’ cooperation beyond what could be achieved individually.
- There are no separate funds available for this initiative; proposals must succeed based on the strengths of their intellectual merit and teams in competition with all other proposals in the funding programme “Sachbeihilfe/Research Grants”.
- Funding of the joint research projects is contingent upon positive assessment by both funding organisations. Joint German-Argentinean projects will be co-funded by the Argentinean funding organisation; unilateral funding of only one part of the project is not possible.
All requested cost items must be in accordance with the respective national administrative regulations. At the DFG, only costs for the German share of the projects are eligible. At CONICET, only costs of the Argentinean share of the projects are eligible according to the regulations of CONICET. The “Guidelines Research Grants Programme” (DFG form 50.01, see link below) and the respective modules apply for applicants to be funded by the DFG.
Applicants for a bilateral collaborative project within this call must submit their joint proposal to their national funding organisation. Argentinean principal investigators (PIs) submit their documents to CONICET, German PIs to the DFG, following the formal requirements of their respective funding organisation. All documents must be written in English. Please note that the documents submitted to the DFG and CONICET must not differ with regard to the scientific content of the proposal and with regard to the applicants involved. Proposals that arrive late and/or do not fulfil the national requirements will not be considered. No legal entitlement can be derived from the submission of a project description.
At the DFG, all proposals must be submitted through the DFG´s electronic proposal processing system elan by 1 December 2023. After logging in, please use the link “Proposal for a Research Grant” in the Proposal Forms column (Proposal Submission > New Project > Individual Grants Programme > Proposal for a Research Grant). Please select “ARGENTINA CONICET 2023 – Joint Research Grants” to tag your proposal for this specific call.
If you are using the DFG’s elan system for the first time, please note that you will need to register before using the system. Registration must be completed by 21 November 2023 in order to submit a proposal. Allow at least two business days to process your registration.
Specific instructions for applicants from Germany
Applicants to be funded by the DFG are required to fulfil the eligibility requirements of the DFG´s Research Grants Programme. This includes the duty to cooperate (“Kooperationspflicht”) within Germany for members of non-university institutions with permanent positions. Please note that any duty to cooperate for DFG-applicants at non-university research institutions can only be fulfilled through cooperation with a partner at a German university. For more information, see the corresponding guidelines for the Research Grants Programme (DFG form 50.01 and 55.01, see links below).
Please prepare the proposal according to the guidelines for the Research Grants Programme (DFG form 50.01, see link below).
While via elan, only the budget figures for the German applicant(s) have to be provided, the proposal itself should contain not only the German budget part but also a budget overview for the Argentinean part so as to provide comprehensive information to the reviewers. In the proposal submitted by the German applicant(s) to the DFG, an academic curriculum vitae for all Argentinean principal investigators should be submitted to complete the reviewers’ information.
Note that only Germany-based applicants should be entered as “applicants”. Country partners (and potential further international partners) should be entered as “cooperation partners”. Employees whose positions are requested for funding should not be assigned to this category.
Specific instructions for applicants from CONICET
Applicants from Argentina are kindly requested to conform to all the requirements listed in the CONICET “Bases de la Convocatoria” that is published on the CONICET website (see link below), and to submit their documents to CONICET.
Equity and diversity
The DFG strongly welcomes proposals from researchers of all genders and sexual identities, from different ethnic, cultural, religious, ideological or social backgrounds, from different career stages, types of universities and research institutions, and with disabilities or chronic illness.
Timeline and notification of results
- Call opening: 14 August 2023
- Call closure: 1 December 2023
- Assessment of results: January to October 2024
- Communication of results: December 2024
- Approximate beginning of funding: from January 2025
Funding will be provided according to the funding rules (incl. reporting) of the respective funding organisation.
Grant holders are requested, where possible, to keep their project components synchronous and initiate their grants in a timely manner.
General information for German principal investigators on research grants may be found at:
Guidelines on the Duty to Cooperate:
To submit a proposal to the DFG, please follow the “Guidelines for the Research Grants Programme“ (DFG form 50.01) and the ”Proposal Preparation Instructions – Project Proposals” (DFG form 54.01) under:
Further general information on elan:
DFG´s Review and Decision Process:
Arriving at a decision in individual grants programmes:
- Interner Linkwww.dfg.de/en/research_funding/proposal_funding_process/individual_grants_programmes/ arriving_decision
DFG’s data protection notice on research funding:
Please note the DFG’s data protection notice on research funding. If necessary, please also forward this information to those individuals whose data will be processed by the DFG due to their involvement in your project:
Guidelines for Safeguarding Good Research Practice. Code of Conduct:
Information on the implementation of the Guidelines for Safeguarding Good Research Practice. Code of Conduct:
- Externer Linkhttps://wissenschaftliche-integritaet.de/en/code-of-conduct/implementation-of-the-guidelines
Contact of the DFG´s Research Integrity Team (Good Research Practice):
Link to the Argentinean announcement and call text:
Link to CONICET´s “Bases de la Convocatoria”:
Contact information at DFG Bonn:
- Dr. Dietrich Halm
phone +49 228 885-2347
Link auf E-Maildietrich.firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact information at DFG in Latin America:
- Dr. Christina Peters
phone +49 228 885-4550
Link auf E-Mailchristina.email@example.com
Point of Contact for Argentinean applicants:
International Cooperation Office-European Division
- Agustina Salvati
phone +54 11 4899-5400
Link auf E-Mailcoopint@conicet.gov.ar
This text is available at
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item.