Emmy Noether Programme
The Emmy Noether Programme gives exceptionally qualified early career researchers the chance to qualify for the post of professor at a university by leading an independent junior research group for a period of six years.
The programme is open to postdocs and junior professors with temporary contracts who are at an early stage in their research careers. Holders of a junior professorship with a positive interim evaluation are no longer included in the target group for this programme, and are not eligible to submit proposals or receive funding.
Extended eligibility period for submitting proposals to the Emmy Noether Programme
Due to the coronavirus pandemic and the associated restrictions on working conditions at universities and research institutions, the DFG is extending the individual eligibility period for proposal submission within the Emmy Noether Programme by three months for prospective applicants who would otherwise only be eligible to apply by 31 December 2021. Note that the rules on calculating the eligibility period, including the eligibility period start date, as outlined in the programme’s frequently asked questions, remain unaffected.
To give highly qualified researchers the opportunity to satisfy the prerequisites for appointment as a university professor by leading an independent junior research group and performing relevant teaching duties
To attract outstanding early career researchers (back) to Germany from abroad
Early career researchers in all disciplines, normally up to 4 years after completion of the doctorate
- Normally at least two years of postdoctoral experience
- Substantial international research experience
- Applicants from abroad are expected to continue their research careers in Germany after the funding comes to an end.
A written letter of intent must be attached to the proposal.
- The ENP is not open to those who have already satisfied the requirements for a professorship, in particular those who have completed or are about to embark on the habilitation process, as the funding objective has already been achieved in these cases.
- An individual is not eligible if they are in receipt of a type of funding similar to the ENP for an independent (junior) research group from a national research institution, programmes offered by the federal and state governments, or an international institution located in Germany.
- Interner LinkForm 50.02 "Emmy Noether-Programme"
Excellent research project
Assessed on the basis of previous research work, ambitious publications in internationally respected journals or a comparable format
Type and Extent of Funding
- Interner LinkEmmy Noether Independent Junior Research Group Leader
- Interner LinkBasic Module
- Interner LinkTemporary Substitutes for Clinicians
- Interner LinkMercator Fellows
- Interner LinkProject-Specific Workshops
- Interner LinkPublic Relations
- Interner LinkFamily Allowance
- Interner LinkStandard Allowance for Gender Equality Measures
Time to Decision
Approx. 8 months
Forms and Guidelines
An Emmy Noether independent junior research group can be associated with a Collaborative Research Centre with a related topic at the same location. This allows the independent junior research group to be integrated into an excellent research environment. As a full member of the CRC, the leader of the independent junior research group shares in its centralised funds.
The department responsible for the relevant specialist area at the DFG Head Office will be happy to answer your questions about submitting a proposal.
For questions about the eligibility requirements, please contact
Please note that it can take time to respond to questions. Please also refer to the