Open Research Area for the Social Sciences Eighth Call for Proposals 2023
The eighth round of the Open Research Area (ORA) is based on an agreement between the Agence nationale de la Recherche (ANR; France), the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG; Germany), the Economic and Social Research Council of UK Research and Innovation (ESRC; the UK), and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC; Canada).
In order to strengthen international co-operation in the field of social sciences, wishing to fund high quality scientific research within their own countries, and aware that some of the best research can be delivered by working with the best researchers internationally, ANR, DFG, ESRC, and SSHRC are launching an eighth ORA call for proposals in order to fund the best joint research projects in the social sciences. The scheme will provide funding for integrated projects by researchers coming from at least three of the four subscribing countries – in any combination of three or more countries.
Proposals may be submitted in any area of the social sciences. However, the disciplinary coverage varies according to the involvement of the national agencies. Applicants who are uncertain of whether their proposal would be eligible should contact the relevant national agencies for clarification.
There is a possibility for cooperation partners in Japan (if applicable) to obtain a special funding from a Japanese funding agency. The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) will provide an independent funding opportunity on application basis to support the cooperation partners in Japan involved in the successful proposals.
ORA 8 will use the same format as ORA 7: the call will follow a one-stage, one-application procedure consisting of a full proposal to be submitted on November 14, 2023 at the latest. Funding will be distributed among the national agencies according to the affiliation of the researchers, and according to the funding rules of each agency.
How to Apply
SSHRC is the coordinating agency for this round. All proposals for this call will be submitted through the SSHRC Convergence Portal. For detailed guidance on how to submit proposals, please refer to the ORA 8 Convergence Guidance for Applicants (See below).
Deadline for the submission of proposals is Tuesday, 14 November 2023, 17:00 Eastern (23:00 Central European Time). Proposals submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
Webinar for potential applicants
- Link auf PDF-DateiCall Specification
- Link auf PDF-DateiConvergence Guidance for Applicants
- Link auf eine Office-DateiProposal Template (must be downloaded, completed and uploaded to the Convergence application form)
- Link auf eine Office-DateiNarrative CV Template (must be downloaded, completed and included within Proposal Template)
- Link auf eine Office-DateiESRC Finance Form (must be downloaded, completed and uploaded to the Convergence application form if requesting funding from ESRC)
- Link auf eine Office-DateiSSHRC Finance Form (must be downloaded, completed and uploaded to the Convergence application form if requesting funding from SSHRC)
- Link auf eine Office-DateiSSHRC Terms and Conditions for Applying (must be downloaded, completed and uploaded to the Convergence application form if requesting funding from SSHRC)
- Link auf PDF-DateiModalités pour les participants français
- Link auf PDF-DateiFrequently Asked Questions Post Webinar
Previous ORA Rounds:
- Link auf PDF-DateiResults ORA I
- Link auf PDF-DateiResults ORA II
- Link auf PDF-DateiResults ORA III
- Link auf PDF-DateiResults ORA IV
- Link auf PDF-Datei2016 ORA Evaluation Reports
- Link auf PDF-DateiResults ORA V
- Link auf PDF-DateiORA V Short Report
- Link auf PDF-DateiResults ORA VI
- Link auf PDF-DateiORA VI Short Report
All queries relating to this call should be directed to the call Secretariat at
All queries relating to the SSHRC Convergence Portal should be directed to
All country-specific queries should be directed to:
- Sigrid Claßen
phone +49 228 885-2209
Link auf E-Mailsigrid.email@example.com
- Christiane Joerk
phone +49 228 885-2451
Link auf E-Mailchristiane.firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Contact SSHRC well in advance of the application deadline if you wish to submit your ORA 8 application in French.
- Maria Tsiloni
phone +33 1 73 54 83 04
Link auf E-MailMaria.Tsiloni@agencerecherche.fr
United Kingdom, ESRC: