FAQ: elan - Information for reviewers and decision-making bodies
Answers to Questions on E-Files
The zip file must first be unzipped using the “Extract” function in the respective zip program.
- To save the eDocuments to your hard drive, click on the link "Complete package for downloading".
- From the “File download” pop-up window, select the "Save" button (not "Open").
- Select the target folder and save the download package. To unzip the folder "Gesamtdokument_eBer....zip", right-click the file to open the context menu.
- From here, select
- under Windows "Extract all", then the target folder and confirm this using the "Extract" button
- - if you are using the WinZip program - "WinZip" and "Extract to here".
- This option automatically creates a separate folder with the same name as the document key. For an overview of all documents, please open the file _index.htm. From there you can navigate, as in the online view, to the individual proposals and open the associated documents. Please note that an additional window will appear asking you if you are certain you wish to open this document. Please respond with “Open” to access the document.
- To save the eDocuments to your hard drive, click on the link "Complete package for downloading"
- The file "getContent.zip" is saved in the folder “Downloads” and automatically unzipped into a folder whose name is the same as the document key.
- Once the download is complete, the files can be opened in the “Finder” (Downloads) or moved from there to a new location.
- For an overview of all documents, please open the file _index.htm. From there you can navigate, as in the online view, to the individual proposals and open the associated documents. Please note that an additional window will appear asking you if you are certain you wish to open this document. Please respond with “Open” to access the document.
When using online access/offline access via “_index....htm”, not all applications are shown. What should I do?
For convenience, certain types of documents are offered both in “Complete view” and “My view”. “My view” contains only the proposal documents for which you are responsible.
By default, in the online overview “My View” is displayed. You can switch to the complete view via the “View All” tab
For navigation, two directory listings (index files) are provided if present. The “_index.htm” file contains the complete view; the “_indexMyView.htm” contains the proposals for which you are responsible. From an opened index file you can then use the appropriate link to switch between these two views.
On my Mac computer the downloaded documents are only shown as “getContent” and can’t be opened. Why?
As a rule, documents are sent as PDF files. There is a known problem with Mac OS and the Safari browser, which does not recognise the file format and stores all files as “getContent”. Until there is a technical solution to this problem, please use alternative access options:
- You can rename the downloaded files, e.g. to “Document1.pdf”, in which case they will be correctly recognised.
- Use a browser that does not have this problem, e.g. Camino (caminobrowser.org).
- Download the document to your computer as a complete package (zip file); the files will then be correctly recognised once they are unzipped.
For certain types of documents the tab “My View” is available in addition to “View All”. “My View” displays only the documents for which you are responsible.
The option “My View” must be available in order to access, via the icon, all proposal documents as one PDF file and subsequently display, print or view them.
Answers to Questions on Electronic Reviews
I’ve set up an elan account but can only access the “Electronic Proposals” section. How can I access “Electronic Reviews”?
Your account must be activated by the DFG’s Head Office to allow access to the highly confidential information necessary to prepare your review. The information is located in a protected area. Please get in touch with the DFG programme contact who requested the review for more information.
All proposals included in the list have been marked by the DFG accordingly. The relevant proposal may not have been marked. Please get in touch with the DFG programme contact who requested the review for more information.