Emmy Noether Programme
The Emmy Noether Programme gives exceptionally qualified early career researchers the chance to qualify for the post of professor at a university by leading an independent junior research group for a period of six years.
The programme is open to postdocs and junior professors with temporary contracts who are at an early stage in their research careers.
The DFG would like to point out that during the review process, individual proposals must speak for themselves. Reference letters from third parties are not encouraged and, to ensure the equal treatment of all applicants, are not forwarded to reviewers or decision-making committees.
To give outstanding researchers the opportunity to satisfy the prerequisites for appointment as a university professor by leading an independent junior research group and performing relevant teaching duties
To attract outstanding early career researchers (back) to Germany from abroad
Early career researchers in all disciplines, normally up to 4 years after completion of the doctorate
- Normally at least two years of postdoctoral experience
- Substantial international research experience
- Applicants from abroad are expected to continue their research careers in Germany after the funding comes to an end.
A written letter of intent must be attached to the proposal.
- The programme is not open to those who have already satisfied the requirements for a professorship, in particular those who have completed or
are about to embark on the habilitation process, as in these cases the objective has already been achieved.
- An individual is not eligible if they are in receipt of a type of funding similar to the ENP for an independent (junior) research group from a national research institution or an international institution located in Germany.
Excellent research project
Assessed on the basis of previous research work, ambitious publications in internationally respected journals or a comparable format
Type and Extent of Funding
- Interner LinkEmmy Noether Independent Junior Research Group Leader
- Interner LinkBasic Module
- Interner LinkTemporary Substitutes for Clinicians
- Interner LinkMercator Fellows
- Interner LinkProject-Specific Workshops
- Interner LinkPublic Relations
- Interner LinkFamily Allowance
Time to Decision
Approx. 8 months
Forms and Guidelines
An Emmy Noether independent junior research group can be associated with a Collaborative Research Centre with a related topic at the same location. This allows the independent junior research group to be integrated into an excellent research environment. As a full member of the CRC, the leader of the independent junior research group shares in its centralised funds.
The department responsible for the relevant specialist area at the DFG Head Office will be happy to answer your questions about submitting a proposal.
For questions about the eligibility requirements, please contact
- Anita Benner
- Birgit Gemein
- Marco Steffes
Please note that it can take time to respond to questions. Please also refer to the
- Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays,
9:00 am to noon, at 0228/885-3008.