Expired Senate Commissions
Senate Commission on Biodiversity Research
© Graphic: P. Strutzenberger, Photo: G. Brehm
Biodiversity research is a relatively new interdisciplinary field of research that addresses research problems that can often only be solved by taking a long-term approach. The DFG has being funding a number of individual projects in the field for some time, in addition to a number of large-scale research groups that are embedded in the “biodiversity exploratoria” research platform. Biodiversity research aims to fulfil the obligation that Germany agreed to when it signed the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD).
This commission, which was established by the DFG Senate six years ago, aims to give the field the opportunity to organise itself and find solutions for pressing issues in the field. The commission’s primary objectives are:
- Provision of a forum for discussion to promote cooperation between different subject areas and enable the field to become organised,
- Coordination of the biodiversity research funded by the DFG, with the aim of networking projects and disciplines (better) and thus achieving greater synergy,
- Positioning and prioritising German biodiversity research on the international playing field and representing German researchers at international meetings,
- Exploring the need for and potential support of other measures to improve the research infrastructure,
- Fulfilling the DFG’s role as an advisor for politicians and the general public on scientific issues relating to biodiversity,
- Improving the basis for the hitherto informal work done by the DFG working group “Biodiversity research: Access to Resources and Fair Offsetting of Advantages” as the commission’s working group and continuing contact with the CBD secretariat,
- Supervision of the “Biodiversity working group” in the Allianz Research Funding Forum.
- Professor Dr. Markus Fischer
Biodiversität und Klima Forschungszentrum
University of Bern
Institute of Plant Sciences
E-Mail: Link auf E-Mailmarkus.email@example.com
Senate Commission on Water Research
The Senate Commission on Water Research provides advice on the DFG's funding programmes, promotes interdisciplinary and international collaboration, advises on core work areas and developmental trends, and supports coordination activities with other funding organisations active in the field of water research.
An important task of the commission is to help the interdisciplinary field of water research organise itself by enhancing communication between scientists and individual research areas.
The commission’s primary objective is to advance basic research in this field. In addition, it also supports the transfer of basic research findings to applied science with the goal of creating practical models to help solve national and global challenges.
Senate Commission on Future Directions in Geoscience
The Senate Commission on Future Directions in Geoscience advises the DFG’s statutory bodies on questions of geoscientific research. It is responsible for coordination and strategic planning, while also being a link between the DFG, universities and non-university research institutions, as well as individual researchers in geoscience.