Information für die Wissenschaft Nr. 75 | 22. Oktober 2018
German-Argentinian Collaboration in Research
Third joint call for German-Argentinian research projects in specific research areas
The Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, German Research Foundation) and the National Council for Scientific and Technological Research (CONICET) are pleased to announce the third call for proposals to fund joint German-Argentinian research projects in the following areas:
- Physical Chemistry
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Molecular and Clinical Infectology and Immunology
- Social Sciences and Humanities
The proposals for German-Argentinian research projects have to be submitted to the DFG according to the following rules:
- Researchers can apply for a funding period of up to three years.
- Scientists in Germany must submit their proposals within the DFG’s Research Grants Programme in compliance with the guidelines outlined in DFG form 50.01. This includes the eligibility criteria for applicants to be funded by DFG.
- Proposals have to be written in English and must be submitted to both organisations in parallel in accordance with the proposal preparation requirements of each side, respectively.
- Please note that the scientific content of the proposal submitted at DFG and CONICET must be identical.
- The joint proposal shall contain an abstract, the scientific description, the goals and tasks as well as the justification of the requested cost items according to DFG form 54.01.
Researchers in Argentina and Germany must submit their proposals to CONICET and DFG, respectively, by 5 April 2019.
In addition to the guidelines of the DFG, the following considerations have to be taken into account:
- The scientific level of the projects should be high in international comparison.
- Although the scientific quality of the proposals is the decisive criterion, joint projects must also demonstrate a clear added value to the applicants’ cooperation beyond what could be achieved individually.
Funding of the joint research projects is contingent upon positive assessment by both funding organisations. Joint German-Argentinian projects will be co-funded by the Argentinian funding organisation; unilateral funding of only one part of the project is not possible. The DFG does not provide special funds for this initiative.
For applicants in Germany, funds may be used to cover salaries of postdoctoral fellows and doctoral students, for consumables and instrumentation as well as travel expenses for internal consortia and scientific conferences. Within a collaborative project, researcher mobility between Argentina and Germany is strongly encouraged and can be supported by funding travel expenses and per diem expenses. All requested cost items must be in accordance with the national administrative regulations, respectively. The Guidelines Research Grants Programme (DFG form 50.01) and the respective modules apply for applicants to be funded by the DFG.
In addition to the submission of the proposal by the Argentinian project cooperation partner following the instructions of CONICET, the joint proposal shall be submitted by the German partner via the electronic submission portal at DFG, elan. After the log-in, please use the respective link “Proposal for a Research Grant” in the Proposal Forms column. Please, select as the relevant call “CONICET-DFG 2019”.
If you are using the DFG’s elan system for the first time, please note that you will need to register before you may use the system. Registration must be completed by 29 March 2019 in order to submit a proposal. Allow at least one business day to process your registration.
Timeline and notification of results
- Call opening: 22 October 2018
- Call closure: 5 April 2019
- Assessment of results: April 2019 to December 2019
- Approximate communication of results: December 2019
- Approximate beginning of funding: January 2020
Link to the Argentinian announcement and call text:
To submit a proposal to the DFG, please follow the “Guidelines for the Research Grants Programme“ (form 50.01) and the ”Proposal Preparation Instructions – Project Proposals” (form 54.01) under:
General information for German principal investigators on research grants may be found at:
Further general information on elan:
Contact information at DFG Bonn:
- Dr. Dietrich Halm,
phone +49 228 885-2347,
Link auf E-Maildietrich.email@example.com
Contact information at DFG in Latin America:
- Laura Redondo,
phone +55 11 5189-8306 (BR),
or +49 228 885-4551 (D),
Link auf E-Maillaura.firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact information for Argentinian applicants:
International Cooperation Office,
phone +54 11 4899-5400,
Link auf E-Mailconvocatoriascoopint@conicet.gov.ar
This text is available at
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item.