Information für die Wissenschaft Nr. 79 | 22. Dezember 2016
DFG-RFBR Cooperation: Possibility for Joint German-Russian Research Projects
Funding Period 2018–2020
On the basis of a fruitful cooperation for more than twenty years within the framework of a standing open call and to harmonise the working procedures the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, German Research Foundation) and the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR) have opened the possibility for funding of joint German-Russian projects in all areas of basic research for the period of 2018–2020. Due to the reintegration of the Russian Foundation for Humanities (RFH) into RFBR the new call includes research fields in the humanities and social sciences. Collaborations of research teams from both countries are invited to submit joint proposals by 1 March 2017.
At the DFG these proposals are submitted in the funding scheme “Sachbeihilfe/Research Grants” and will be reviewed in competition with all other proposals in this scheme. It is important to note that there are no separate funds available for these efforts, proposals must succeed on the strengths of their intellectual merit in competition with all other proposals in the funding scheme “Sachbeihilfe/Research Grants”. All proposals will be reviewed by both organisations separately. The results of the review process will be shared between the agencies. Support will be granted for those proposals where both DFG and RFBR recommend funding.
Proposal preparation and submission:
- The eligibility to submit a proposal follows the regulations for the programmes for the funding scheme “Sachbeihilfe/Research Grants” at DFG side (DFG form 50.01). This includes the duty to cooperate (“Kooperationspflicht”) within Germany for members of non-university institutions with permanent positions.
- Proposals must be submitted to both organisations in parallel in accordance with the proposal preparation requirements of each side, respectively. For German groups this means submission via DFG’s elan system according to the guidelines for the Research Grants Programme (DFG form 50.01).
- For submission via the elan system German partners should select under “Call for Proposals” “DFG-RFBR-Call 2018” respectively.
- Additional documents as CVs of the principal investigators (PI) from both sides must be uploaded following the rules of each organisation respectively. Please note that the reviewers on both sides will need the full information on the PIs from Germany as well as from Russia.
- For German partners – please note that if you are using the elan system for the first time, you need to register prior submitting your application with your complete personal and address details by 21 February 2017 at the latest.
In accordance with the full proposal target date of RFBR proposals to the DFG should be submitted not later than 1 March 2017. The next call for the funding period of 2019–2021 is foreseen for late 2017.
The DFG elan system can be found at:
The general guideline of the Research Grant Programme (DFG form 50.01) can be found at:
The general guidelines can be found at:
Detailed information about the collaboration between DFG and RFBR can be obtained:
At the DFG Head Office in Bonn:
- Dr. Jörn Achterberg,
phone +49 228 885-2494,
Link auf E-MailJoern.Achterberg@dfg.de
- Andrea Wabschke,
phone +49 228 885-2337,
Link auf E-MailAndrea.Wabschke@dfg.de
- Michael Sommerhof,
phone +49 228 885-2017,
Link auf E-MailMichael.Sommerhof@dfg.de
At the DFG Office Russia/CIS in Moscow:
- Dr. Wilma Rethage,
phone +49 228 885-4700,
Link auf E-MailWilma.Rethage@dfg.de