State Major Instrumentation
Purpose of Funding
Under this programme, major instrumentation is procured for German universities and university clinics and financed by the states/universities. The DFG is commissioned by the states to review proposals for major instruments that are to be used for research, teaching and training, or for clinical care. The funds can serve this purpose either directly or indirectly. Major instrumentation also includes central IT systems.
- German public universities and university clinics are eligible to apply.
- Proposals for major instrumentation, which can be submitted at any time, are sent to the DFG by the state/university in accordance with the respective state guidelines. The state and/or university must guarantee financing.
- The gross acquisition cost must be at least €100,000 for universities of applied sciences and at least €200,000 for all other universities.
Instrumentation Proposal Criteria
- Major instrumentation is the sum of the components, including accessories, that form an operational unit for the intended application. A clear relationship should exist between the base unit (including software) and its accessories – which can include methodological and measurement-related expansions or supplements that are not directly required for operation. Building measures are not considered part of the equipment.
- Proposals for upgrades or supplements will be reviewed if the individual items exceed the minimum limits.
- Overall concepts for IT will be considered if they include specific purchasing measures.
- Proposals for IT network systems at universities and university clinics may also be considered, provided they do not constitute purely infrastructural measures.
Please refer to the following for more information (available in German only).