Information for Researchers No. 16 | 2 March 2020
TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visits Programme
Based on the agreement with The World Academy of Sciences for the Advancement of Science in Developing Countries (TWAS), the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, German Research Foundation) calls attention of researchers at German institutes to the opportunity to invite early career scientists (Postdocs) of all academic fields coming from Sub-Saharan African countries for a three-month research based cooperation visit at their institute in Germany.
DFG will provide the host institute with a monthly allowance for the grantee, covering subsistence costs and daily expense, visa costs etc., and with a lump sum for the institute as project expense allowance for material and laboratory costs. Furthermore, DFG will provide the grantee with a return air and train ticket from the airport of the home country to the city of the host institute and with travel health insurance, accident and liability insurance in kind.
- come from a sub-Saharan African country;
- hold a research position at an institution in a Sub-Saharan African country;
- hold a PhD which they have obtained not earlier than 2015;
- not be already on site in Germany or working in an ongoing intensive research cooperation with the intended host;
- for repeated research visits, especially with the aim to elaborate joint research proposals, the German hosts can submit proposals within DFG’s programme Initiation of International Collaboration.
Proposals must be submitted by the African scientists to TWAS by 18 May 2020. Part of the application needs to be an official invitation by the potential host that refers to the subject area of the research (not an elaborated research project) and to the research infrastructure that will be available for the guest.
For further information on the TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visits Programme and access to the online application documents please see:
Contact at DFG’s International Affairs Division:
This text is available at
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item.