Professor Hubert Markl
DFG President from 1986 to 1991
Prof. Dr. Hubert Markl
Hubert Markl was born in Regensburg on 17 August 1938 and studied biology, chemistry and geography at Munich. In 1962 he gained his doctorate at the University of Munich and - after research stays in the United States - his habilitation (venia legendi) in zoology at the University of Frankfurt/Main in 1967.
From 1968 to 1973 he worked as Full Professor and Director of the Zoological Institute at the Technical University of Darmstadt. Since 1974, Markl has been Professor of Biology at the University of Constance. In 1994/1995 he also held the Heinrich Hertz Visiting Professorship at the University of Karlsruhe. Hubert Markl died on 8 January 2015.
Positions, Memberships and Distinctions
- 1977 - 1983 Vice President of the DFG
- 1986 - 1991 President of the DFG
- 1993 President of the newly founded Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities (Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften)
- 1993/1994 Chairman of the Association of German Natural Scientists and Physicians (Gesellschaft Deutscher Naturforscher und Ärzte)
- 1996 - 2002 President of the Max Planck Society
Lorenz Oken Medal of the Association of German Natural Scientists and Physicians (GDNA) (1984), Karl Vossler Prize (1985), Arthur Burkhardt Prize (1989), Karl Winnacker Prize (1991), Ernst Robert Curtius Prize (1995). In addition to this, Hubert Markl holds the Grand Merit Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (1992) and the Commander's Cross with Star of the Order of Merit of the Republic of Poland (1990).
University of the Saarland (1992) and University of Dublin (1997)
Major Research Fields and Publications
Sensory physiology and social behaviour of animals; nature conservation and environmental protection; promotion and support of science and research.
- Biophysik (1977, 1982; English: Biophysics 1983, co-editor)
- Evolution of Social Behavior (1980, ed.)
- Natur und Geschichte (1983, co-editor)
- Neuroethology and Behavioral Physiology (1983, co-editor)
- Evolution, Genetik und menschliches Verhalten (1986)
- Natur als Kulturaufgabe (1986)
- Wissenschaft: Zur Rede gestellt (1989)
- Wissenschaft im Widerstreit (1990)
- Die Fortschrittsdroge (1992)
- Wissenschaft gegen Zukunftsangst (1998)