The National Socialist Era
This dossier provides an outline of the history of the DFG during National Socialism: from its naming through self-mobilisation and Aryanisation to the funding of “research critical to the war”. An intensive critical reappraisal of the National Socialist era is also documented here.
- Interner LinkAn organisation conforms
- Interner LinkHow research and funding were “Aryanised”
- Interner LinkScience and scholarship before and during the war – race research and ideological subservience
- Interner LinkNames through changing times
- Interner LinkCritical reappraisal of the National Socialist era
The Research Unit on the History of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, 1920-1970
In spring 2000, the President of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, Professor Dr. Ludwig Winnacker, convened a working group to explore ways and opportunities to examine the DFG’s history. After this initial discussion, the President asked Professors vom Bruch (Berlin) and Herbert (Freiburg) to assume charge of the DFG history research project. This initiative gave rise to a research association whose work was based on the following three guiding principles: the research should focus on the period of Nazi rule; the group’s main focus should be the research projects funded specifically by the DFG; the project should focus less on the history of individual disciplines. Instead, it should be more of an analysis of interdisciplinary developments.
Access to the historical records
“GEPRIS Historisch” is the comprehensive information portal provided by the DFG that makes the history of the DFG and of research between 1920 and 1945 publicly accessible:
Information on literature used and sources
A memorial and information centre in Berlin commemorates the victims of the National Socialist “euthanasia” murders. The DFG knowledge transfer project “To remember means to commemorate and inform” developed the materials for the interactive exhibition.
- Interner LinkTo commemorate and inform (available in German only)
- Interner LinkMore information on the travelling exhibition “The National Socialist ‘euthanasia’ murders” (available in German only)
Exhibition on the General Plan East
The DFG's exhibition entitled “Research, Planning, Expulsion – The National Socialists’ General Plan East” chronicles the close connection between academic research, rational planning and research funding in the service of National Socialist invasion and extermination policies.
- Interner LinkDFG Exhibition “Research, Planning, Expulsion – The National Socialists’ General Plan East” (only available in German)
DFG programme contact
- Mechthild Köhler,
Tel. +49 228 885-4322,
Link auf E-MailMechthild.Koehler@dfg.de