Information on the call for “Digitisation of historic newspapers in the German-speaking areas”
The objective of this call for proposals is to bring about a coordinated and significant increase in the number of digitised newspapers and a central research reference. The aim is to achieve a representative cross-section of newspaper records in Germany reflecting historical diversity.
Both original newspapers and microfilmed newspapers are required as digitisation templates to make materials relevant for research available to the various scientific disciplines, respond to existing demand from the research community and provide a relatively fast and cost-effective entry into large-scale and structured digitisation. In the selection, both the nationwide significance for research and the quality and completeness of the template are essential factors and must be considered in the digitisation project.
Digitisation based on Optical Character Recognition (OCR) is eligible for funding. Digitisation projects without OCR can be funded only in exceptional cases that have been duly substantiated.
It is noted that only digitisation of verified and indexed materials already in the Journal Database (Zeitschriftdatenbank - ZDB) can be funded.
Interested persons are asked to submit a letter of intent by 16 July 2018.
Funding proposals can be submitted until 16 October 2018. It is intended to issue another call for proposals for the digitisation of historic newspapers taking into account the knowledge acquired in OCR.
- Link auf PDF-DateiCall „Digitisation of historic newspapers in the German-speaking areas" (German only)
- Interner LinkGuidelines 12.15: Indexing and Digitisation
- Interner LinkIndexing and Digitisation Data Sheet (Proposal) (form 53.37)
- Interner LinkDFG Practical Guidelines on Digitisation (form 12.151) (German only)
- Externer LinkDirectory with contact persons: http://www.zeitschriftendatenbank.de/zeitungsdigitalisierung (German only)