Information for Researchers No. 67 | 19. Oktober 2016
ANR-DFG Cooperation 2017 in Natural, Life and Engineering Sciences
(ANR-DFG 2017 NLE)
In 2012 the Agence Nationale de la Recherche (ANR) and the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, German Research Foundation) advanced a joint funding initiative open to all fields of the Natural, Life and Engineering Sciences including interdisciplinary research. DFG and ANR will continue their collaboration with a call for proposals for 2017.
This call will be managed as a unilateral lead agency procedure with ANR serving as the lead agency. Proposals for joint bilateral research projects will be accepted in Natural Sciences, Life Sciences and Engineering Sciences – with exception of research in Space Technology, Nuclear Research and Defense.
The Humanities and Social Sciences have not been included because of their separately implemented bilateral ANR-DFG programme. Proposals in these fields continue to be submitted in the dedicated ANR-DFG call in Social Sciences and Humanities, including transdisciplinary projects when they propose an approach mainly centered on Social Sciences/Humanities, and/or when the principal investigator is one from the Social Sciences/Humanities.
According to the ANR rules a two-step procedure will apply:
- Registration: Each joint proposal has to be registered by the French applicants at the dedicated ANR website by 27 October 2016, 13h CET (Paris-Time).
The DFG does not require any registration or submission of documents at this stage.
- The deadline for the submission of full proposals to the ANR will be in early April 2017.
A copy of the full proposal together with the required administrative information has to be submitted via elan to the DFG at the same deadline.
Proposals without a registration or submitted after the deadline will not be eligible.
- The respective eligibility rules of ANR and DFG apply to the French and German applicants of a joint proposal.
- Industrial partners are not eligible for the ANR-DFG call 2017.
- The duration of the projects could be up to three years.
- Assessment of all applications will be made by the ANR according to its rules for the generic call.
- The DFG funding decisions will be based on ANR’s evaluation results. DFG’s decision making will be according to its regular procedure.
- In case of approval, the research projects will be funded by each partner institution. Funding will be granted from the regular budgets of ANR and DFG.
- Decisions can be expected in October 2017.
For further information on eligibility criteria, submission procedures, forms and contacts please refer to the following websites:
ANR information on international proposals:
DFG information on ANR-DFG NLE call:
DFG’s Electronic Proposal Processing System for Applicants – elan: