French-German Calls for Joint Projects in Natural, Life and Engineering (NLE) Sciences
The French Agence Nationale de la Recherche (ANR) and the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG; German Research Foundation) have agreed to continue publishing annual calls for French-German projects in the natural, life and engineering sciences (excluding space technology, nuclear research and defence).
Responsibility for the administrative processing and the review process for proposals submitted under these calls alternates annually between ANR and the DFG.
Proposals in social sciences and humanities must be submitted in the dedicated ANR-DFG call for social sciences and humanities (with separate deadlines). This includes transdisciplinary projects when the proposed approach is mainly centred on social sciences and humanities, and/or when the principal investigator is from the social sciences/humanities.
Call ANR-DFG NLE 2019
For the 2019 edition of the ANR-DFG joint calls in natural, life and engineering sciences, ANR will act as the ‘lead agency’, i.e., proposals must first be submitted to ANR, which will be responsible for processing them and conducting the review process.
ANR requests pre-registration by 25 October 2018 at 1 p.m. Applicants must provide formal information about the planned project proposal. There is no equivalent to this requirement on the DFG’s side.
Full proposals for joint bilateral research projects in natural sciences, life sciences, and engineering sciences can only be submitted by applicants who have pre-registered with ANR. Please note that proposals in space technology, nuclear research and defence cannot be funded under this call.
Full proposals must be submitted electronically, firstly via ANR’s submission site, then also via the DFG’s elan portal. Submission will close in late March 2019; the precise dates will be communicated in due time on this web page.
For details of ANR’s pre-registration and submission process, please consult ANR’s general call document:
as well as ANR’s specific annex for French-German projects:
- Externer Linkhttp://www.agence-nationale-recherche.fr/fileadmin/aap/2019/aapg-anr-2019-annexe-DFG.pdf
- This joint call is part of the DFG’s Research Grants funding programme, i.e., all provisions of that programme apply unless otherwise specified. For details about research grants, see Interner Linkwww.dfg.de/formulare/50_01/
- Proposals must be submitted in English, based on the template provided by ANR.
- The eligibility rules of ANR and the DFG apply respectively to the French and German applicants in a joint proposal. In particular, scientists from German non-university institutions, who are subject to the duty to cooperate, must fulfil this duty with a partner from a German university. See also Interner Linkwww.dfg.de/formulare/55_01/
- Commercial partners cannot be involved in joint ANR-DFG projects.
- The duration of the projects can be up to three years.
- The same modules which are available in DFG research grants are available within this call.
- The scientific assessment of all applications will be made by ANR in accordance with its general rules; the DFG and ANR will jointly approve a final selection of projects to be funded.
- If approved, research projects will be funded by each partner organisation according to its national rules. Funding will be awarded from the regular budgets of ANR and the DFG.
- Decisions can be expected in October 2019. Funding is expected to commence in late 2019 / beginning of 2020.
Submission with DFG:
Proposals must be submitted through the DFG’s elan portal.
The call will open for submissions on the elan portal in February 2019. Details will follow in due course.
Detailed information on proposal submission to ANR:
Contact for general information about registration and proposal submission to ANR:
- Link auf E-Mailaapg.email@example.com (administrative and financial issues)
- Link auf E-Mailaapg.firstname.lastname@example.org (scientific issues)
- Link auf E-Mailaapg.email@example.com (technical issues concerning the submission)
Contact for specific information about rules and requirements for the ANR-DFG 2019 NLE Call:
- Jennifer Seemann (+49-228-885-2715, Link auf E-Mailjennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Dr. Carsten Balleier (+49-228-885-2063, Link auf E-Mailcarsten.email@example.com )
For scientific queries specific to your discipline, please contact the responsible scientific programme director at the DFG:
Call ANR-DFG NLE 2018
Starting from 15 October, the results of the 2018 edition of these calls will be available at
(see at the bottom: projets sélectionnés); the applicants will be notified individually.